No-one has ever said that parenting was easy, but they have said it was something that brought them stress, annoyance and financial difficulties, but they would never change it for anything in the world. Being a good parent is one of the hardest things to accomplish and now in our very politically correct world, even more so. As parents, we do find ourselves doing the same thing our parents did, but are never sure, if the way they did it was the best way. There have been thousands of books written on the subject of good parenting and there will be thousands more, but if you stick to the following, you won’t go far wrong.
Practice What You Preach.
- Kids are notorious for copying their parents and so you should lead by example. The way you act, the way you talk, greatly influences your child and ultimately decided what kind of child they are going to be. If you treat people badly, your child will too, and if you curse and swear, your child will also. What you do as a parent makes a real difference and this should never be underestimated.
Too Much Love.
- People say that you can love a child too much, that’s nonsense. Yes, you can spoil your little darling with toys and gifts but that’s not the same thing. Love is a completely different kettle of fish and doling it out in great amounts can only make your kid and more loving person also.
- It’s difficult to find time to spend with your child, there never seems to be enough time to do so. If it’s not your job, then it’s something else and we all lead very busy lives. We do, however, need to prioritize what is important, what can wait, and what can’t and try to be more involved in our children’s lives. Sure the helping hand offered by the likes of this Au Pair agency (service costs here on https://www.goaupair.com/host-families/program-costs/) and similar others is always a plus point, but you need to find time for when it really matters. Whenever you are with your young ones, you should be present there both mentally and physically, without being involved in your phone or work-related stress. Also, when they reach out to you for playing or to ask a question, giving them your phone just so they will be quiet for a minute shouldn’t be preferred. Besides, investing in good wall insulation, so you can get some peace and quiet in your bedroom, away from your kids is also only a short-term fix. Sacrifices need to be made and you need to be there in both mind and body.
Rules And Boundaries.
- There are rules and boundaries in all facets of our life and the same applies to the up-bringing of your child. Children need structure and they need rules. If you don’t take care of your child’s behaviour now then what will he or she be like when they are older and you are not around to point them in the right direction. You always need to know where they are, who they’re with and what they’re doing. If you can’t answer these questions, then you are failing as a parent.
Never Get Physical.
- There is no need to hit your child and kids who are physically reprimanded end up fighting and bullying other children. There are other alternatives available to you like a ‘timeout’, the naughty step and taking away the things they love like their games console. You can be sure these do work and done consistently, your child will learn not the challenge your authority.
As a parent, there is only so much we can do to help our kids. In the end they will grow up and go out into the big, bad world and learn all there is to learn. However, if you have at least taught them the rudimentaries, then you have done your part and after that it’s up to them.
Guide created by International Surrogacy Center, who can help you become a surrogate