Being too concerned about a leak just after finding it, is when you think about it, perhaps a fast way of ending up in hospital. Messing around on a roof if it’s raining or where there’s ice and snow, isn’t the best way to find a leak.
So, any trying to temporarily repair a leak can be very hazardous and not worth the risk. If you want to do it perfectly, there is no kind of quick-fix, you will just have to be patient and wait for the weather to give you the thumbs up, or you can get professional advice at Carolina Home Specialists for example, as this is the safest option.
Don’t Take Chances
Being up on a roof will put your body in positions which aren’t comfortable or safe. Wear strong rubber soled shoes to prevent any slipping and wear a harness. (If possible, work with a friend)
Water the Roof
Make use of a garden hose and get up on the roof and begin spraying in different areas to locate the leak.
- Never do this in the winter as it’s just not safe to run water on the roof when it’s freezing outside.
- If seeking professional fibreglass roof suppliers, use only renowned specialists.
Ensure that Gutters are Kept Clean
As you may already be aware, one of the most typical areas and causes of any roof leaks are blocked gutters.
- Gutters that have not been cleaned, may cause water to build up during times of rain.
- Hence, it is important to either regularly clean your home’s gutters yourself, or if you’re not sure how to, then call in service providers in Macomb or in your area who should be able to do a thorough clean-up of the gutters.
- Moreover, keeping your gutters clean can prevent not only roof leaks but also a number of other problems that may inconvenience you in the future.
Keep Dry Rot at Bay
Dry rot isn’t related to any kind of water damage, but not enough ventilation. If a roof needs repairing from someone like this roofing company right in the middle of it, there is the possibility that the plywood might be deteriorating.
To prevent dry rot from forming, you will have to install a ridge vent, which will only perform if there is a soffit vent.
- Holes must be drilled through the soffit vents so that cooler air comes in via the bottom and then pushes the hot air out through the top.
Prohibit and Ice Build-up
During the winter months, ice can build up under the roof membrane, shingles and gutters. The ice will then build back up when it reaches the wall line where the home is heated and then generate an interior drip.
- Good ventilation, rain and ice shields and the installation of a drip edge, will help you to prevent this problem.
Inspect for Cracks
Occasionally shingles are at fault and will start to crack after being nailed down. Inadequate installation with nails and shingles can also play a big part in leaks as are nails which are nailed in too low, which will start pushing back up.
Always inspect merchandise before getting up on your roof.
Leaks Be Gone!
Don’t fret when a leak can’t be found as it’s only a process of elimination. After checking one area, fit the shingles back and seal them properly, then move on to another area.
If you find you might need a hand, or have underestimated how tricky roofing is, maybe it’s time to get in touch with a professional, for example, SEI Roofing, and let them save the day! You can visit their website here to find out more.
Infographic created by Avvio